20110120

Spotted #3: Ford GPW (World War II Jeep)

A year and a half is quite a long time by any standards. That's precisely how long back I spotted an interesting automobile on road, something exotic or vintage, which spurred me to chase, snap and post it in my blog.

Today, when I first saw this jeep overtaking our Indica which was cruising at about 70 km/hr along the GQ near Tambaram in Chennai, I dismissed it mistaking it for an old Mahindra Jeep. Only then it dawned on me that its actually a vintage World War II Jeep which should have been made either by Willys or Ford. The jeep had actually went so far by then, it took a couple of minutes for us to get close to it again.

Immediately noticeable was the huge 'Ford' logo embossed in the rear, thus clearing the confusion and giving an hint that it should have been originally manufactured around 1941~42. Apart from the embossed Ford badge, the nine-slotted grille, the indicators and the split front windshield were some of the few noticeable authentic parts left in that vehicle. Most of the other iconic WW II Jeep accesories like the pickaxe and shovel in the left side, jerry can in the rear and one of the side lamps in the wheel arch were not to be found. The fact that it was converted to RHD and the presence of fake parts like the Mahindra taillights spoiled its originality.

However, what surprised me most was the fact that it was moderately well-maintained and comfortably did speeds of about 75 km/hr in the NH. What surprised me least though was, even after so many decades, it still managed to turn heads all along the way. I only wish that it had all the original bits of the Ford GPW so that I could have feasted my eyes even more.

2 comments:

  1. Always carry handguns with hammers over an empty chamber or cylinder. If you fall, be sure to disassemble the gun and check the barrel from the breech end for obstructions.
    threaded barrels

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tips, many thanks for sharing. I have printed and will stick on the wall! I like this blog. 品川 Shinagawa New Local Patterns Japanese License Plate

    ReplyDelete